A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by Dr. Calleros at your initial dental visit. After filling out your forms on our confidential laptop (we are paperless), you will be escorted to the treatment room where Dr. Calleros or Dr. Raymer will conduct a detailed interview to get to know you. Then a full set of x-rays and a series of intra and extra-oral photographs will be taken. Followed by an oral cancer exam, TMJ (jaw joint) exam, full mouth periodontal exam, orthodontic exam, and charting of your existing dental conditions. If needed study models may be taken.
At regular check-up exams, Dr. Calleros and the hygienist will perform the following:
Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
Possible photographs to aid in diagnosis, education, and treatment planning.
Professional Hygiene Services
Professional hygiene services (dental prophylaxis) are usually performed by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
- Laser Bacterial Reduction: All Calleros Dental providers are certified in Laser Bacterial Reduction. Click link to learn about this amazing and effective procedure.
- Fluoride varnish application. This is used as a preventive measure to reduce decay and teeth sensitivity.
- Oral Hygiene Instruction:
- Possible intra-oral photographs.